and by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
-Sylvia Plath




Thursday, October 20, 2011

Best Strangers

Smile, Honey” mom cheered, demonstrating a toothy grin. I halfheartedly parted my lips, revealing a row of pearly whites.
* click *
Ignorant as always, she snapped photo after staged photo in an attempt to prove that we were the happy family she wished we were.
* click * * click *
That should be good.” she stated, dismissing us with a wave of her manicured fingers. We sighed, relieved, and headed for the nearest exit.
Can't we just send out the Christmas pictures from last year?” Chris suggested, “You know, the ones where Julie is beating up Jake.” He looked at me, smiling, this time genuinely.
I swung my arm high, squishing my face together but finally forces my balled up hand to my side.
I don't need this. I dashed for the stairs. Soon enough, I'll be gone. I reassured myself.

California. That was the dream.
Sun, Sand, a place of my own.
Now, sitting in my bland dorm room, crunching equations and pounding the keyboard in hopes of catching the countless deadlines, I wished I would've stopped to enjoy “the good ol' days”. Stopped to smile with the family. Stopped to really meet them. Really get to know them.
I glanced at the housewarming gift mom sent me. A carefully framed family picture, pushed passed textbooks and lone sheets of paper, waiting to be discarded.
Who are those people? I interrogated myself. The woman with glowing eyes, the man towering beside her, his face divided by deep grooves. The two boys, tugging on each others shirts, their impatient stares masked by floppy chestnut hair.
The were strangers.
Strangers who called to ask how I was doing. Strangers who called to see when I would be visiting.
I placed the picture face-down, avoiding their stares. And discovered a message. Carved in the frame was a message from mom.
A quote.

These strangers stand on the side and cheer you.” - Linda Miller
I look forward to meeting you some day.
Love,
Mom

P.S. I understand

Image Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment