and by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
-Sylvia Plath




Saturday, October 22, 2011

Between a Block and a Hardback

She sat down at the table. Picked up the pen. Nothing.
She tried everything, but she couldn't find the right words to say.

No, this isn't the beginning of a short story where a girl tries to contact her long lost mother. It's what every writer sooner or later suffers from.

Writer's Block.

I was dead set on writing a poem today, but unfortunately, a drowsy Saturday doesn't result in an inspiring story line. Still set on getting my daily post in, I depended on my favorite cure for writer's block. It's what I like to call “The Three Word Wonder.”

Here's how it works:
  • pick a word, the first word that comes to mind
  • next, pick a second and third word that you connect with the first
    (in this case, I chose words that rhymed. You might prefer synonyms, antonyms, word groups, etc. Whatever works best for you.)
Sounds easy right?
  • now, start writing. Be sure to incorporate your three words into your short story or poem.

I chose the words DREAM * GLEAM * and STREAM

Here's what I came up with:

She's a dreamer,
like no other,
a believer,
with the power,
to wrap a narrow-minded male,
in the magic her mind streams.

She's a beauty,
hard to find,
the woman
all men seek for,
no ordinary lady,
reveals the mystery her eye gleams.

But there's a secret to this skirt,
a riddle just I know,
I carry in my pocket,
an almighty note.

The key to the lock of an impossible heart,
the conclusion of a merciless hunt,
a clue placed to rest in my pocket,
that I, near my heart, forever tote.

 
Works like a charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment